North Collinwood is a lakeshore community located in the northeast corner of the City of Cleveland. It is approximately fifteen minutes from downtown Cleveland with easy access via Interstate 90 or public transportation via Lakeshore Boulevard.
Collinwood was a separate village until it was annexed by the City of Cleveland in 1910. The area was known to have a strong Abolitionist movement and was a recognized stop on the underground railroad. In the 1870s the area was the largest shipping point for grapes in the United States. The southern border of North Collinwood is the site of the former Collinwood railyards which once fueled the growth of the neighborhood and is now slated for redevelopment. The northern part of the neighborhood was reserved for park and residential uses.
North Collinwood has a mixed architectural housing stock from smaller bungalows and cottages to colonials and doubles. These homes may be situated on a brick city street or along a lakefront street in which the neighbors have access to Lake Erie. Another living arrangement in North Collinwood is a situation in which the neighborhood association owns the street along with a park and beach on the Lake Erie shoreline.
Commercial districts are concentrated along East 185th Street, Waterloo and Lakeshore. The retail opportunities include grocery, pharmacy, hardware and also a number of restaurants and local taverns. Activities in the retail areas include the Old World Festival on East 185th Street and the Waterloo East 156th Street Festival which are held each summer to celebrate the ethnic diversity of the neighborhood.
Points of Interest
Of the five parks that make up the Cleveland Lakefront State Park, two are situated in North Collinwood. Euclid Beach is the site of a former amusement park by the same name. It now is a public park with picnicking and beach access with swimming. Wildwood Park, which is down the street from Euclid Beach, has public access for picnicking, fishing and boating.