Old Brooklyn is located approximately fifteen minutes from Downtown Cleveland off of the Interstate 71 Pearl Road exit. A short trip south on Pearl leads to the intersection of Broadview and Pearl Roads—the heart of Old Brooklyn. It is flanked in the South by Interstate 480 with an exit at State Road. The area is also easily accessible by public transportation on the number 20 bus.
The Old Brooklyn neighborhood was annexed by the city of Cleveland in 1905 from Brooklyn Township. The area at the time was mostly farms and dirt roads. Many of the area farms were made up of greenhouses which is evidenced by the remaining greenhouse farms along Jennings Road today.
Old Brooklyn has a mix of architectural styles ranging from the post-World War II bungalows to Colonials, doubles and Tudor style homes. The settings for these homes can be very different. Old Brooklyn is diverse in that some streets have a very urban feel, others are winding and hilly, and some offer excellent views of downtown Cleveland. A short tour of the neighborhood will reveal the solidness of the housing stock and give an idea of the diversity in architecture and settings.
Commercial districts are located on the five main thoroughfares in Old Brooklyn—Pearl, Broadview, State, Memphis and Fulton Roads. Most retail needs can be met within the neighborhood including grocery, pharmacy, and hardware stores along with many eateries and taverns.
Along the northern edge of Old Brooklyn is the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo which includes an exhibit called the Rainforest, that recreates the atmosphere of the rainforest environment. Also on the northern edge is Brookside Park—an area of open green space that contains baseball, soccer and football fields.